Kernow Positive Support
STOP PRESS | charity details
help line | peer support | hardship fund | welfare rights advice | therapeutic services | newsletter | training
service user group | eddystone trust | positive action south west | torbay pride support | pash | drug projects
service user group | eddystone trust | positive action south west | torbay pride support | pash | drug projects
royal cornwall hospital - truro GUM clinic | derriford hospital - plymouth GUM clinic | health promotion service
haemophilia | hiv publications | hiv support | grant giving | respite & retreat | online support | hepC support
hiv - the facts | welfare rights assistance | hiv - travel insurance | sexual orientation issues | 24hr help
drop-in services | retreat centre
our help line | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link


back to work


KPS may be able to help you on all aspects of Welfare Rights and advocacy. This Website also lists and provides fully interactive information on a number of DWP Statutory Benefits and advice that a person with HIV, and/or their carer can access. There are also benefit information and forms in Acrobat PDF that can be downloaded and printed for you convenience.

This information is only a general guide to benefits and schemes, and is not a full and authoritative statement of the law. We have made every effort to ensure that the information on this website is correct at the date shown at the top of the page. However, changes in the law may make the website become gradually less accurate.

Further information on welfare benefits and advocacy in all areas of Welfare Rights advice is available by calling the KPS help line.

If I start work but my sickness or disability means I have to stop again?

Under the New Deal for disabled people , if you start work but have to stop within 52 weeks because of your sickness or disability, you may be able to go back onto Income Support at the same amount you got before you started working.

To be able to do this:

  • you must have been sick for at least 28 weeks and
  • you must have started work or training within 7 days of getting Income Support and
  • your other circumstances must still be the same.

You must let your Jobcentre Plus office, Jobcentre or social security office know you have started work or training within one month of the date you start. You cannot get protection if your benefit stopped because of a medical test.

I start "Permitted Work"

If you are on Incapacity Benefit or Severe Disablement Allowance, National Insurance Credits or Income Support because of illness or disability 'Permitted Work' is the work you might be able to do without affecting your payments. You can get more information here

You can also read the procedural information for disability organizations..

Permitted work procedural information for disability organizations .

I start voluntary work?

You can do as much voluntary work as you like. Your Income Support will not be affected as long as you do not receive any pay other than to pay for expenses like fares or special clothing you need for the voluntary work.

Your Income Support will not be affected if it is reasonable for the person or organisation you are doing the voluntary work for not to pay you.

If it is unreasonable not to pay you, we will reduce your Income Support by an amount you could expect to be paid for the work you are doing, even though you are not being paid. You must tell your Jobcentre Plus office, Jobcentre or social security office if you do any voluntary work. You must also tell us if you are paid in any way. This includes things that are sometimes called payment in kind. This could be something like meal vouchers.

What is New Deal?

New Deal is a Government programme that aims to give unemployed people the help and support they need to get into work.

Everyone on New Deal gets a personal adviser who is their point of contact throughout the programme. The personal adviser takes the time to understand you - your experiences, interests and goals - so a plan can be prepared to get you into a suitable job.

You can find out more about the different New Deal programmes on this website.

If you have any questions about New Deal, call: 
0845 606 2626  
7am to 11pm, seven days a week,

Or textphone:
0845 606 0680
7am to 11pm, seven days a week.

Is New Deal for Disabled People for me?

If you get disability or health related benefits and want to work, but need some help and support along the way, then the voluntary New Deal for Disabled People could help you. 

More information about New Deal for Disabled People .

What is New Deal for Disabled People?

New Deal for Disabled People is a voluntary programme delivered through a network of Job Brokers who have been chosen by Jobcentre Plus because of their experience of working with people with health conditions or disabilities. Taking part in New Deal for Disabled People will have no affect on your benefit.

First steps

If you are interested in finding a job you can get in touch with a Job Broker who will tell you about the options available to you, so you can decide if you would like to take part.

When you meet your Job Broker he or she will seek to:

  • Understand your situation
  • Discover what kind of work you would like to do
  • Give you advice about the local labour market
  • Discuss with you the most appropriate route into employment
  • Agree with you the next steps to take

As you progress on New Deal for Disabled People, your Job Broker will support you in preparing for and finding work. This could include:

  • Matching your skills and abilities to the needs of employers
  • Identifying if you have any training needs and then working with local training providers to give you the extra support
  • Helping you through the process of applying for jobs
  • Supporting you during your first six months in work.

Your Job Broker will also understand the barriers that might make it difficult for you to work, such as mobility issues or lack of confidence, and they will try to help you with these.

What you should do

If you want to join New Deal for Disabled People, then your next step is to find yourself a suitable Job Broker. Different Job Brokers can offer different services, so its worth getting the details of as many as you can in your area and then registering with the one that best suits your needs.

You can get details of Job Brokers in your area by either calling the New Deal Helpline on 0800 137 177, visiting or from your local Jobcentre Plus office.

Help for Disabled People

Specialist Services for Disabled People

What help is available to me if I have a disability and I'm looking for work?

Most disabled people who use Jobcentre Plus are helped into work by Jobcentre Plus or Jobcentre personal advisers. In the 12 months between April 2002 and March 2003 they supported 112,731 disabled people to find work. If your disability or health condition isn't causing you particular difficulties in finding or keeping a job, a Jobcentre Plus or Jobcentre personal Adviser will be able to give you appropriate advice and guidance.

What if I'm recently disabled or my disability is causing additional difficulties in finding or keeping a job?

Disability Employment Advisers (also called DEAs) provide specialist support to people who are recently disabled, or those whose disability or health condition has deteriorated and who need employment advice.

They provide support to disabled people who are having difficulty in getting a job because of their disability, and also to employed people who are concerned about losing their job because of a disability.

Access to Work (AtW) Advisers have specialist knowledge of the Access to Work programme which provides support to disabled people and their employers to help overcome work related obstacles resulting from a disability

What kind of help can a DEA offer?

DEAs can provide a range of support, advice and information including:

  • Employment Assessment , which can help you find out how your disability or health condition affects the type of work or training you want to do
  • referral to a period of Work Preparation , which is an individually tailored programme designed to help disabled people, or those with health conditions, return to work following a long period of sickness or unemployment
  • job seeking advice and support
  • training advice and information
  • advice and information on keeping your job
  • information on the Job Introduction Scheme which pays a grant to your employer for the first few weeks in a job, helping to pay towards wages or other employment costs
  • information on WORKSTEP which provides supported job opportunities for disabled people facing more complex employment barriers
  • information on the Disability Symbol which enables employers to show their commitment to the employment , training, retention and career development of disabled people,
  • details of the New Deal for Disabled People to help sick or disabled people on health related benefits who want to work, find work. It is voluntary and you decide whether or not you want to join it.

What kind of help can an AtW Adviser offer?

  • In-depth information on the Access to Work programme including advice which can help disabled people and their employers overcome work related obstacles resulting from disability
  • an assessment of your needs and whether Access to Work is appropriate for you
  • details of the grant that may be available, through the Jobcentre Plus, towards any extra employment costs which result from disability

How can I make an appointment with a DEA or AtW Adviser?

Contact your Jobcentre Plus office or Jobcentre to make an appointment with a DEA.

Your local Jobcentre Plus office, or Access to Work Business Centre can put you in contact with an Access to Work Adviser.

Mencap - Useful Guides

Mencap has produced a number of useful guides including " Making it Work " which offers help to people with a learning disability who may be considering getting a job, and " Making it Work for Parents and Carers " which can help you if the person you care for has learning disabilities and is looking for a job

Adjacent buttons link to information and organisations where Welfare Rights advice is available


About Us | Terms of use | Contact Us | ©2004 Kernow Positive Support